Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Fishing in the rain

Thanks

Fishing in the rain

A trip down planned for the upcoming weekend (7th-9th) is looking to be a wet one. I don't mind the rain at all, but I am bringing my older brother and my dad whom requires a scooter for traveling long distances.

He was hoping to hook a larger size fish as this may be a last chance for it due to health.

As long as the water is clear will there be a chance of a decent fish(king, red ,jack or a maybe one of those cobia) for him?

He mostly wants to just enjoy the company of family and fish for trout, flounder and spades along with a few spanish. I just want to make sure a memory is created for each of us.

What do the you locals think? Weather gonna throw kinks into the plans to much?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 827 Posts
    I've seen rainy days where we caught axe handle spanish one after the other. Kings too.
    Rain is not a problem as long as its not blowing 30mph OR there is lightning. Lightning changes everything. No fish is work a million volts.
    Carl

Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Disclaimer: This post and/or report is not a substantiation of or reflection on the true accuracy of the present stock assessment methods. It is only an anecdotal report on or comment concerning local observations. Your results may vary.

Thanks
    We arrive Friday for our summer trip, I was just wondering how much Y'all think this tropical mess is going to screw the water conditions and for how long? Only time will tell, but what's your best guess? I'll probably be there regardless. Also plus one for fishing in the rain. When I first started fishing the pier at the first sight of a rain cloud we headed back to the camper. Now on a slow day, I'm praying and rain dancing. Come on pop up showers!!! It's a game changer for sure.
    firewhatfire likes this.

Thanks
    planning on fishing most of the weekend starting 1st thing in the morning. Mine will be the grey 2 wheeled goriila cart with a big orangy yellow gaff laying somewhere around it. Stop by and introduce yourself

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by bkwathen View Post
    We arrive Friday for our summer trip, I was just wondering how much Y'all think this tropical mess is going to screw the water conditions and for how long? Only time will tell, but what's your best guess? I'll probably be there regardless. Also plus one for fishing in the rain. When I first started fishing the pier at the first sight of a rain cloud we headed back to the camper. Now on a slow day, I'm praying and rain dancing. Come on pop up showers!!! It's a game changer for sure.
    bkwathen and coach like this.

We are getting there...
    Born, bred and someday dead in Midtown Mobile, AL
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,298 Times in 3,923 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem for the rest of the week won't necessarily be rain showers, though thundershowers are a distinct possibility at times.
    But the wind (and subsequently building seas) will be a much bigger influence on water clarity conditions.

The seas have already built from 1 foot yesterday to 3 feet today. And the marine forecast is calling for wave heights to perhaps even reach 6 feet over the weekend. The gulf should again calm down by middle of next week...
    https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick....0#.XPkf7ohKjcv

Under these trying conditions in the gulf (rough), it pays to try something different. And perhaps even a different venue than the pier.
    bkwathen and johnbenetti like this.

Thanks
    would this come with a few recommendations? Probably gonna give it a go anyway as I will not have much else to occupy myself and family. We could go south to Navarre, I imagine seas will be the same there

Quote Originally Posted by Pier#r View Post
    The problem for the rest of the week won't necessarily be rain showers, though thundershowers are a distinct possibility at times.
    But the wind (and subsequently building seas) will be a much bigger influence on water clarity conditions.

The seas have already built from 1 foot yesterday to 3 feet today. And the marine forecast is calling for wave heights to perhaps even reach 6 feet over the weekend. The gulf should again calm down by middle of next week...
    https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick....0#.XPkf7ohKjcv

Under these trying conditions in the gulf (rough), it pays to try something different. And perhaps even a different venue than the pier.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to firewhatfire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Perdido Pass sometimes proves worthwhile when the surf gets too high. Little Lagoon is another option that sometimes works.
    Pier#r likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to oldfisherman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Intracoastal waterway offers easy access from Canal Road and is not influenced by rough seas. Fishing is hit and miss, but you can almost always find something willing to eat a bottom bait and tug on your line if you just want to feel the pull.
    Pier#r and johnbenetti like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wmfowler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    from what I've heard about the intracoastal: expect a lot of hardhead cats. There may be red/black drum, and even trout, but I've had people tell me that the catfish beat everything else to the bait most of the time. No one i've spoken to has mentioned using artificial baits/lures in the intracoastal. Since I haven't fished there myself this is second hand info, so take it for what it's worth.
    Last edited by fordguy; 06-07-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    Pier#r likes this.

Thanks
    I unfortunately after getting my dad down , he didn’t feel well and I took him to the hotel where took a tumble. Rescue assisted with lifting and I drove him 4 hours back home this evening. The fish will have to wait for another day.

Thanks for for all the help and suggestions. You folks are awesome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast