Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: A Legal Question, Tell me your thoughts, Please!!!

Thanks

A Legal Question, Tell me your thoughts, Please!!!

I don't have a gaff or a net that will work off the Pier. So, I got a big treble hook, attatched it to a very light cable and then to my 50# Mono on my 30# class boat rod and my Penn 6/0 reel. First of all, will that work as a gaff off of the pier during the Winter months? Secondly, is it legal? Pier rules prohibit reels larger than a 4.0, I'm not sure what size a 4.0 is, should it have read 4/0? I will not be fishing with the outfit, only using it as a gaff, off the Pier, if you guys think that it would work. I was going to bring the boat rod & reel along in case we decide to go out on a party boat. A lot of times their equipment is not the best and I can not use that outfit on the trout streams up here. One more question, are we going to run into any sharks around there during the Winter months? THANKS GUYS!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 568 Posts
    First, a 4/0 or a 6/0 reel is exactly that, four/ought or six/ought. Therefore, your reel would not be allowed on the pier per their rules. Secondly, a large treble hook attached to a light rope would work just fine. Usually there are other fisherman/ women on the pier that have nets/ gaff hooks that would be happy to help you land a "big un" or let you use them.Third, Sharks havnt been a problem since to water temp has cooled down. Havnt seen one in weeks.
    Haywire, flyguy, Pier#r and 1 others like this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fshntime For This Useful Post:

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 765 Posts
    ​Not much need for a gaff in winter, net is best way to go.
    The rig you described sounds more frustrating than useful. If you are not wanting to go the net route for Sheepies, get the biggest snatch hook you can find (J & M or Brunson Net) and attach it to about 35 feet of parachute cord.

Just my opinion, and some would say: "Why poke holes in a perfectly good fish?"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FinChaser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 197 Posts
    That really seems like a lot of trouble to me Don t over complicate it You won t need much more than a pier net in the winter I carry both a large pier net and a gaft and would be happy to help you land your fish with either Others in the pier family do the same or just get you a net for $25-30 It would be worth the investment I m still trying to figure out how you are going to hold a big fish on one rod and gaft it with another As I said don t over complicate it If you have a fish that needs netting I assure you we ll be there to help
    Haywire, flyguy, Pier#r and 1 others like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DAN S II For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FinChaser View Post
    ​Not much need for a gaff in winter, net is best way to go.
    The rig you described sounds more frustrating than useful. If you are not wanting to go the net route for Sheepies, get the biggest snatch hook you can find (J & M or Brunson Net) and attach it to about 35 feet of parachute cord.

Just my opinion, and some would say: "Why poke holes in a perfectly good fish?"
    I found Brunson's snatch hooks are junk, broke 2 of the treble's off just barely hitting the deck the first and only day using it....I see why they are inexpensive ....J&M is the place to buy a snatch hook
    can't wait to get back and do a little more snatching.....I had a blast with the mullet(like a kid with a new toy) ....I do own 12 snatch hooks now
    flyguy likes this.
    Bill..............

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ironman172 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,043 Times in 1,919 Posts
    Uh-oh, Ironman's got the snatching fever. I guess I'd better get a helmet, and it should have some sort of face guard to protect my delicate good looks. Maybe get one of those arm pads like they use to train attack dogs to absorb the blows from errant flying trebles. If his snatch hooks are as deadly as his pier gaffs, all living creatures should be on the alert.
    ironman172, flyguy and chillinfish like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Haywire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you guys!!!! I will pick up a net and a 35' cord at J&M. The guy that I will usually be fishing with, if it is not to early in the morning, is a retired lawyer from St. Paul (aka Minnesota on the Forum) and he would not let me do anything illegal by using the 6/0 reel on the Pier. Not that I would if I knew that it was illegal, but I thought that it might be o.k. if just used as a gaff. He is the only retired lawyer I know of that has NEVER been in a courtroom on either side of the law. It's good to hear from you Ironman! How many guys have you tried to kill? I know of two, Fin with a Bubble Rig and Haywire with a Snatch Hook, any others? THANKS GUYS!!!!
    Last edited by flyguy; 12-16-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks
    Dang.....I have only used a bubble a couple of times....your in luck, I won't be there so leave your football helmet at home.....and yes setting the hook with a snatch hook can get messy when missed

I will have the proper equipment for this, my next time down ....both rod and reel....for snatching
    a googan for sure with a new toy....It's all Chef's fault
    flyguy, usa and Peaches like this.
    Bill..............

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ironman172 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,043 Times in 1,919 Posts
    Flyguy, if I might make a suggestion, when you get your new net, immediately replace the rope that comes with it with a heavier one---not that you need the additional strength, and I hope you do, but the extra diameter will make hauling the the fish up a LOT easier on your hands. It is also easier to untangle. When you get your new net to the pier, determine how much line you need and cut off the rest---again cuts way down on tangles. What ever excess rope you have can be used if we need to tie up Ironman to restrain him from snagging sharks, rays and dolphins.

By the way, that was me who tried to kill Fin with a bubble rig. He only survived due to his catlike reflexes and an extra thick T-shirt. Still gives me the shivers to think what would have happened if I'd gotten him with the hook instead of the bubble. I'm a lot more careful about looking behind me before I cast, now. He may be carrying a weapon next time.
    coach, Pier#r and flyguy like this.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haywire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
    Flyguy, What ever excess rope you have can be used if we need to tie up Ironman to restrain him from snagging sharks, rays and dolphins.

By the way, that was me who tried to kill Fin with a bubble rig..
    Dang.....no need for extra rope, I will have extra long zip ties and duck tape to make it easier on you guys ....unless you just need practice on your rope knots.
    Haywire and flyguy like this.
    Bill..............

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ironman172 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast