Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Like Tree25Likes
  • 1 Post By Rebels32
  • 8 Post By Robert(Tato)Piteo
  • 5 Post By eym_sirius
  • 3 Post By ironman172
  • 2 Post By fordguy
  • 1 Post By midwestexile
  • 3 Post By Robert(Tato)Piteo
  • 2 Post By Mr. Cleland

Thread: Little over two months

Thanks

Little over two months

A little over two months away from a return to the pier. I've officially started my collection of fast food straws..haha! The wife is pretty thrilled! This year I really want to get a speckled trout checked off the list. I'll be trading deer sausage for tips when I get down there!
    johnbenetti likes this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 371 Posts
    I can give you a great tip right now. Forget about the straws and just go to Walmart and buy a Yellow, Red ,Green , and maybe Grey rubber sunglass holder. You can cut them in 2 inch lengths and get around 5 baits per. Get you some Tough Bubbles and some #2 3x Treble hooks and some Quality Barrel Swivels and 60 Lb. mono leader. You'll be ready to catch Spanish like crazy.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robert(Tato)Piteo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,230 Times in 662 Posts
    Rebels32 -- Summer trout fishing is 1) under the lights with weightless live shrimp hooked through the horn, about 8# (some people use 6#) fluorocarbon leader (20 inches or more) and a #10 (or #8) treble hook. If there's wind, you may have to use a split-shot weight, as small as you can get away with, and up the line from your shrimp. Cast PAST the fish and bring it near him. Let him find it and run with it for a couple of seconds before setting the hook. 2) Because day fishing usually means pinfish (which would eat your shrimp totally up) are around, you'll want to use baby "L-Ys" for bait instead of live shrimp. You can catch them with a small-sized sabiki or with a red ribbon rig sized for small baitfish. When you use baby LYs, you'll want to use that smaller treble hook so that your bait will be more lively. Again, try to go weightless so you'll want to use a rod that can throw a light bait. Don't catch your baitfish right where the trout are. They can spook rather easily.

You'll want to use a pier net (if there are other fishermen around, they usually have one and will net a fish for you) to get your catch up. It's really "iffy" to try to haul them up without a net.

Anyway, that's pretty much how I do it. I'm sure other guys have their methods that may be just a bit different.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eym_sirius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 579 Posts
    I wish I could say a little over 2 months, and definitely no deer jerky my next visit
    Nimakdm, Rebels32 and johnbenetti like this.
    Bill..............

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebels32 View Post
    A little over two months away from a return to the pier. I've officially started my collection of fast food straws..haha! The wife is pretty thrilled! This year I really want to get a speckled trout checked off the list. I'll be trading deer sausage for tips when I get down there!
    As Tato noted, the sunglass holders work great in various colors. I run a piece of 14 ga wire through mine down to the treble hook and tie my mono leader to the other end of the wire. The wire is just a few extra inches of bite off insurance, wont help much if a king grabs it though. Sometimes instead of a straw or piece of sunglass holder I get crazy and twist colored pipe cleaners around a plain wire that runs down to the treble hook and sometimes I add tinsel for some extra flash. It's all worked at different times.
    Rebels32 and tigershark like this.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fordguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks all. I was somewhat joking on the straw collecting. I did that last year and it drove my wife crazy. Although I do enjoy telling folks in the Midwest that I caught a bunch of fish using a straw. They simply donít believe it. Thanks for the tips on the specks. Iím looking forward to hanging out with you all. This will be my 4th trip in as many years. Lots of good people on that pier. Very sad that one was lost this week.

800 Miles north physically; somewhere on the pier mentally
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebels32 View Post
    Thanks all. I was somewhat joking on the straw collecting. I did that last year and it drove my wife crazy. Although I do enjoy telling folks in the Midwest that I caught a bunch of fish using a straw. They simply donít believe it.
    It will be just as hard for them to accept that you caught fish using sunglass holders as bait.
    Rebels32 likes this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 371 Posts
    Another little trick I do to my sunglass holder is to cut the leader end and kind of make into a pointed shape. It seems like it gives it a side to side walking motion when I twitch it.
    Mr. Cleland, Rebels32 and Haywire like this.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert(Tato)Piteo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert(Tato)Piteo View Post
    Another little trick I do to my sunglass holder is to cut the leader end and kind of make into a pointed shape. It seems like it gives it a side to side walking motion when I twitch it.

What he said ^^^

The sunglass tubes are great. The straws get worn down and need to be replaced occasionally.. but the sunglass holders seem to last way longer. My PB spanish was on a lime green one. I also added a few steel bb's to the float for a rattle...
    Nurse -- Father -- EX, EX Husband-- Falconer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Cleland For This Useful Post: