Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Are Mojo Inshore rods worth the price?

Thanks

Are Mojo Inshore rods worth the price?

I have a St. Croix, and have no complaints about it. Just wondering about this series of rods

Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 568 Posts
    I have s couple of these rods an like them. St Croix makes a good quality product and are made in Park Falls, Wisconsin. However that being said, this line of rods is produced in Mexico, but they still seem to hold up well. I wouldn't be afraid to invest in them, especially if the price is right.
    usa likes this.

Thanks
    Have you looked at Falcon? Their Coastal xg model is very nice, $90 shipped, and highly recommended on lots of forums for inshore fishing. Also a made in America company with a great warranty and customer service.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 281 Posts
    Fwiw.....one of the regulars on the pier has a mojo rod, I think he paired it with a Shimano reel and used braid. I saw him catch two 15+ pound kings on that setup and he was really singing that rod's praises. He was casting a plug with it. Light weight, great action, lots of backbone according to him. I personally prefer the TFO rods....the signature series bass pro carries. I have two of their 7'6" models. Never fished a more sensitive rod.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rich1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have some. They are OK. I've had issues with guides especially, and tips. In that "range" of rods, I personally prefer the Shimano rods.

Now, if you step up into the higher end rods, St. Croix becomes a new ball of wax in that category. Haven't had "issues" with those outside of the tip guide only.

That said, they don't get used anymore either. Instead, when I have a group of tourists with youngins, I let them use those.

I much prefer the custom batsons I had made (xp842 being my favorite, followed by rx8+s823), along with my Greenwaters (with upgraded guides). Especially the (over-the-counter) G-Loomis GWMR 783, which tends to be my go-to rod when I need backbone combined with lightweight fishing. I changed out the guides on it, and it has become by far one of my favorite rods altogether.

Also, when you have it custom made, you can get the colors you want and upgrade the guides to either SiC or memory nickel titanium.

All of which is well worth the investment. You might pay an extra $150-$200 for a custom, but you'll get something built to last and just the way you like it.

There are lots of options out there. How deep you dive in will depend on your interest and your budget. If it were me (and it once was), if I were looking at a Mojo, I'd look sideways at the Shimano rods nearby (usually cheaper price), or step it up to a Greenwater.
    Pier#r likes this.

Thanks
    I do have a Falcon xg, I think I payed $60 at Academy for it. Really like it,

Thanks
    I think mojo is a bit on the heavy side. And I've always thought batson custom is nice until viking guy show me his custom. The color scheme makes me wanna punch a baby.
    Viking Guy likes this.

Thanks
    Moral of the story is to keep babies away from Sammy.
    Sammy and stephen.franklin like this.

Thanks
    And don't let Viking guy to design custom rods. Save the babies.
    Viking Guy likes this.

Thanks
    I use a 7.5' Shimano Teramar heavy/fast with a stradic 5k and that is the finest rig I have ever owned. I have never used a mojo, but I would go with a shimano any day and they are a little less expensive.
    Viking Guy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast