Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Netting ?

Thanks

Netting ?

Ok then,,,,, so the gill netters can still keep raping the waters of all the spanish and pompano they want and what ever else they can get away with. I might be coming on too strong and I know netting is how they make their living, but from what I've been told the state biologist say according to a survey they conducted their nets are taking near 90% or more of the Spanish and pompano in close proximity of the shore near the Pier and along the coast. Why is there not a limit on their catch ?
    Last edited by Mike59; 05-07-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Dufus Tourist
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike59 View Post
    Ok then,,,,, so the gill netters can still keep raping the waters of all the spanish and pompano they want and what ever else they can get away with. I might be coming on too strong and I know netting is how they make their living, but from what I've been told the state biologist say according to a survey they conducted their nets are taking near 90% or more of the Spanish and pompano in close proximity of the shore near the Pier and along the coast. Why is there not a limit on their catch ?
    Same thing with the Snapper Cartel. I think it's the golden rule. He who has the gold makes the rule.

Pier Fishing Guru
    Born, bred and someday dead in Midtown Mobile, AL
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,523 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing about netting in Alabama is they are a 'dying breed'.
    Fewer each year...
    ironman172 and Mr. Cleland like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pier#r For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm not against gill nets,,,, unattended is a problem though,,, I used gill nets for mullet back in a day and would again,,, cast nets too,,, I can still sling a cast net pretty dang good. With fewer netters these days I might would think they would be allowed to take so much more from the shores of the gulf,,, does any one know if their season catch is higher now than lets say 20 years ago, were the same rules in place now than in the past ?

Pier Fishing Guru
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Unattended gill nets are illegal!
    https://www.outdooralabama.com/saltw...al-information

Report ANY to MR Enforcement@ 24 Hour Contact Number: (251) 476-1256

Commercial gill net regulations are VERY complex...
    https://www.outdooralabama.com/saltw...al-information

You can find specific info on commercial landings @ https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/commerc...-by-gear/index
    Last edited by Pier#r; 05-08-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 825 Posts
    Commercial netters, nor recreational fisherman, have come close to taking their quotas of Spanish macs for years. Just because you dont catch a limit of the pier doesnt mean the Spanish mac population is depleted. Jump in a boat just about any day and troll clark spoons around Dixie Bar, the nearshore gas rigs or the Perdido Pass ebb tidal shoal and limits can be stupid easy.
    Carl

Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Disclaimer: This post and/or report is not a substantiation of or reflection on the true accuracy of the present stock assessment methods. It is only an anecdotal report on or comment concerning local observations. Your results may vary.

Thanks
    Alabama netters mainly catch pompano as a bycatch. There is no way biologists could put a number on percentage of fish caught. Very likely the person you talked to (if they were wearing a blue shirt) WAS NOT a biologist.
    Pier#r likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JayHook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok so there are far more spanish mackerel than I thought or for that matter any one might think left in the Gulf,,, I did watch a fellow in a boat off the pier some distance and several times the boat would drive past the front of the pier at a distance,, run what seemed to be a mile or two further from the pier and some time later return to the other side of the pier some distance away , a couple of runs , the boat was running in complete darkness,,
    I was told by a person on the pier this dude was running gill nets , later after a bunch of back and forth,,,, with pauses about 30 minutes very near the beach each time , the operator of the boat finally cuts on navigation lights and then pops on some flood lights,,, I was told this is where a person or persons were actually picking the nets for fish and moving on. I just felt running without navigations lights was a bit too suspicious to me. It's a real big no no with the Marine police and makes me think maybe just maybe had some reason to hide .

Pier Fishing Guru
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Call them and tell them when you observe this.
    frednic and eym_sirius like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pier#r For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 504 Posts
    Told 'em several times. No one ever comes out, not working the hours needed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast