Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Rich1
  • 1 Post By Rich1
  • 1 Post By fshntime

Thread: Penn spinfisher 4500 for pier plugging gotcha plugs(blues and spanish) or to large?

Thanks

Penn spinfisher 4500 for pier plugging gotcha plugs(blues and spanish) or to large?

Ok guys, I just got a Penn 4500 Spin Fisher for plugging gotcha plugs off the pier for Blues and Spanish. My question is do you think the 4500 might be too large for all day plugging.... I can exchange it out for the 3500 no problem. I like the line capacity on the 4500 vs the 3500, as I also predict I'll use it out on the skiff from time to time. I would like to be able to handle a slightly larger fish if it happen to hit the plug. The difference in weight is only 1 oz.. I need to figure this out before Monday night, so any help would be awesome!

PS. I might also like to throw this reel in the surf, but pier plugging is my main focus with this....
    Last edited by xdss; 09-22-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 281 Posts
    It is about the same size as what I use on my larger tackle. BUT I throw a lot of ultralight for spanish, too. You want to go with 10 lb mono if you are using an expensive plug, or 12 lb. You need the larger reel then, unless you are going with braid for plugs, which many do, especially from boats. 4500 seems well suited for what you describe. When you get tired, and you will throwing a gotcha, take a break and talk to some of the old men at the tables. Sometimes they are more fun than fishing.
    Pier#r, ironman172, xdss and 2 others like this.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    It is about the same size as what I use on my larger tackle. BUT I throw a lot of ultralight for spanish, too. You want to go with 10 lb mono if you are using an expensive plug, or 12 lb. You need the larger reel then, unless you are going with braid for plugs, which many do, especially from boats. 4500 seems well suited for what you describe. When you get tired, and you will throwing a gotcha, take a break and talk to some of the old men at the tables. Sometimes they are more fun than fishing.
    Thanks Rich! I been browsing the forum for awhile and have seen alot of your posts! Very Helpful! So you think I will be fine with this reel as far as throwing a one oz gotcha plug and heavier? What size/brand of rod would you pair this guy up with? Thanks for the help! Oh one more thing... If I were to use 10-15lb braid on this 4500 do you think it would be too much? (I was planning on spooling 12lb mono) I'm looking to use this as an all around reel for the time being (plugs/rigs etc) but want to gear it more so toward 1 oz gotchas cause those things down here are Blue/Spanish killers!!! Ultimately would you return the 4500 for the 3500 for what I'm trying to do?
    Last edited by xdss; 09-22-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 197 Posts
    I use Penn 4500SS with no problem Used them for years Love them Do yourself a favor though Put the gotchas aside and get you some bubble rigs You ll catch more fish with less effort Still can use gotchas I always have them ready on two rods but I think you'll find the bubble better and more productive

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    I have to agree about the gotcha, I use to throw them all the time, but from the pier and having to lean over the rail with rod pointed down for the good action, my back said (NO more PLEASE) so now it's a 1/2 or 3/4oz looney jig for me and throw that with a stradic 4000, cabo 40,& battle 4000....depending on how they are rigged...... one will have a bubble on it.

as far as rod....something in the 7-8ft length that balances well with the reel I prefer a longer handle on my rods so I can utilize my forearm for extra power fighting a fish....less stress on the wrist that way
    also with the shark problem. I like a med rod to get them in quick,also there are some BIG spanish swimming around
    Bill..............

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 281 Posts
    I would stick with a good quality line in 10 or 12 pound mono. If you went with braid on a 4500 class, it would be lot$ of braid. I just don't like it for gotcha or bubble rigs....I got too many wind knots and tangles with other fishermen. One good red school came thru and I was on my way to j&m for new line. Nasty tangle....but lots of folks love braid. Dangerous stuff if you are new to the pier scene. One good thing, throw a 1 oz gotcha with braid and you should have plenty of elbow room.

Me, I throw the tiny 5/8 size gotcha in red and chrome, 7/8 is my next choice. 1 oz is a desperation move for me. Makes my back hurt thinking about it.

TFO rods has a 7'6" medium rod. Lifetime warranty, Loomis signature. Best rod I've ever wrapped my hand around, period. $109 at bass pro. But a good penn rod 7' medium or medium heavy sounds good. But seriously, if you have a light spinning outfit with 6 or 8 pound test, or 4, and some 1/4 oz jigs, do yourself a favor and bring it.
    Pier#r likes this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN S II View Post
    I use Penn 4500SS with no problem Used them for years Love them Do yourself a favor though Put the gotchas aside and get you some bubble rigs You ll catch more fish with less effort Still can use gotchas I always have them ready on two rods but I think you'll find the bubble better and more productive
    This is the first time hearing about such a righ... I looked it up and found some info on it. From what I read you can use a straw or smaller gotcha and retrieve at slower speeds...? is that correct?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 197 Posts
    I wouldn't use a gotcha You can use a straw or rubber tubing like sunglass holders I prefer the rubber. Can get them ready made at J&M or Walmart I had never used them either until I started fishing here but I love the rig now Easy to use and you'll catch a lot of fish with it Just pop it like a top water bass plug and vary your speeds until you find one that works
    Last edited by DAN S II; 09-22-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 568 Posts
    I've used 4500's for years, with 15lb mono and have had no problems with 1oz. gotchas all day. Used to have braid to increase capacity, but yes, wind knots are a problem, so I went back to mono. I use heavier mono with less drag to haul 'em in quicker due to the shark problem and it seems to work fine for me. I also use straws and bubble rigs. Whatever works best at the time. I switch back and forth to see which one works better. Have fun.
    Pier#r likes this.

Thanks
    I do not recommend the braid. Multiple negatives associated with it. If a net is not handy you cannot hand line the braid without the danger of getting cut. As earlier mentioned wind knots and tangles cut into your fishing time.