Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: So I gotta ask....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    So I gotta ask....

    I donít want to come off the wrong way, but I would like to know what in the world the Asian fella on the pier is going to with a big cooler full of bait fish. Do they eat em? Make chum for bigger fishing? I canít figure it out. I gave one guy three gafftops....
    auvet1986 likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Auburn AL
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 277 Times in 78 Posts
    Iíve been told they make soup with the small fish. And as for gafftops?ÖIíll take em too. They taste just like freshwater cats. Hardheads on the other hand,Öyuk.
    ChileRelleno and DKillgore like this.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveH For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Elberta, AL
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 142 Times in 42 Posts
    There are certain ways to cook them... when I was growing up, my mom would put them in a smoking hot wok or skillet and basically char them. The sabiki brigade can be frustrating and confusing, but they're meat fishing and have ways to cook fish that is pretty damn good. I'm half Okinawan, fisherman's stew is/was a comfort food. It's all the parts of a fish that you can't sell with big knots of nori, tofu and bitter melon (when I was growing up it was watermelon rinds because we couldn't find bitter melon.) At athletic events in Japan, they don't eat popcorn, they usually sell cups of small dried fish.

    I equate a lot of this to when I used to deer hunt, married to ex2, I'd harvest about 10-15 deer a year because there were family members that couldn't hunt but wanted venison.
    Haywire, DKillgore and ReelFishing like this.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to will46r For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    800 Miles north physically; somewhere on the pier mentally
    Posts
    1,344
    Thanks
    2,143
    Thanked 167 Times in 137 Posts
    Which are DO NOT EAT fish?

    For almost every fish when someone says "you can't eat that", someone in a forum says "sure you can" and has a recipe -- even ladyfish, bonito, or rays. Your cooking skill and tastes are also an issue. Fish with toxins or contamination risks like ciguatera or mercury are obviously another story.

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by will46r View Post
    There are certain ways to cook them... when I was growing up, my mom would put them in a smoking hot wok or skillet and basically char them. The sabiki brigade can be frustrating and confusing, but they're meat fishing and have ways to cook fish that is pretty damn good. I'm half Okinawan, fisherman's stew is/was a comfort food. It's all the parts of a fish that you can't sell with big knots of nori, tofu and bitter melon (when I was growing up it was watermelon rinds because we couldn't find bitter melon.) At athletic events in Japan, they don't eat popcorn, they usually sell cups of small dried fish.

    I equate a lot of this to when I used to deer hunt, married to ex2, I'd harvest about 10-15 deer a year because there were family members that couldn't hunt but wanted venison.

    I have never heard the term sabiki brigade before. Thatís kinda funny. They certainly do pretty good with them, I have never had any luck with a sabiki. I donít know why, but I must be doing something wrong lol. That stew sounds pretty tasty if you ask me. I have a brother that is stationed on Okinawa with the USMC, and he loves it out there.

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestexile View Post
    Which are DO NOT EAT fish?

    For almost every fish when someone says "you can't eat that", someone in a forum says "sure you can" and has a recipe -- even ladyfish, bonito, or rays. Your cooking skill and tastes are also an issue. Fish with toxins or contamination risks like ciguatera or mercury are obviously another story.
    I have been reading through that thread. Itís interesting, but man some of that stuff I donít know about. Like eating the shark suckers, that doesnít sound healthy/appetizing at all.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to ReelFishing For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Iíve been told they make soup with the small fish. And as for gafftops?ÖIíll take em too. They taste just like freshwater cats. Hardheads on the other hand,Öyuk.
    Gafftops are edible? Thatís not a fish I would have considered eating.

    Another question, one guy was using this big lure/jig thing, it looked like a big weight with metal rods coming out of it, and what looked like to me, white plastic bag on it. He was jigging it up and down. Any idea what that is?

  11. #8
    Half a Pier Is Better Than NO Pier ;-)
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Born, bred and someday dead in Midtown Mobile, AL
    Posts
    9,525
    Thanks
    7,214
    Thanked 11,921 Times in 3,557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    That sounds like a hard body squid jig...

  12. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Yep thatís it. I didnít realize there was squid off the pier?

  13. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Elberta, AL
    Posts
    212
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 142 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelFishing View Post
    Yep thatís it. I didnít realize there was squid off the pier?

    Octopus too. Those are realllllyyy fun to unhook
    DKillgore likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •