Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By frednic
  • 1 Post By bubbaduck
  • 1 Post By Pier#r

Thread: Upgrading a Reel to handle more than one King... Advice, please!

Thanks

Upgrading a Reel to handle more than one King... Advice, please!

Last week we spent a couple days at Sandestin, and on advice from frednic in a previous post, I fished the Okaloosa Island Pier a couple of times. Long story short, I was able to deck a couple kings 20ish lbs. (my first actual king catch, since the sharks have cut me short every time at GSPP) and fought HARD with a really nice one that based off of the size of the head reeled in would have been in the 40-50 lb. range.

After the the fight (3 near complete spoolings) with the "big one" the drag stack on the reel (lower end combo) was TOAST... literally the felt washers were melted like dried up chewing gum in between the metal plates and the heat had built up so much that the "eared metal plates" had deeply embedded themselves into the melted plastic spool beyond repair.

I have looked at the Penn Battle II reel (not sure on class) as a possible upgrade. Would this be a logical choice??? Pros, Cons and all opinions welcome; looking for what would withstand more than a couple of king fights.

Keep in mind we are only able to fish saltwater 2-3 times a year, 3-4 days at a time... If more time was available to fish saltwater, or more importantly more DISCRETIONARY FUNDING was available, I would consider higher end gear that was built to last and could be serviced... that's just not where I am right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 502 Posts
    I bought a Battle II 4000 this year for Spanish and have been very happy, but for king I would suggest a 6000.
    Pier#r likes this.
    RTR anyway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frednic View Post
    I bought a Battle II 4000 this year for Spanish and have been very happy, but for king I would suggest a 6000.
    Do you know if these reels are "serviceable", as in drag stacks can be replaced as needed (or any other "wear and tear components"), in the event of heavy use? It appears that carbon fiber drag washers are what is used in this reel... isn't that a good thing?

I know as with any reel, how it is maintained substantially effects how long it will last. Along with this upgrade, I am hoping that maintenance and servicing are lessons that can taught to my 13 year old leading into future equipment purchases.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleman View Post
    Do you know if these reels are "serviceable", as in drag stacks can be replaced as needed (or any other "wear and tear components"), in the event of heavy use? It appears that carbon fiber drag washers are what is used in this reel... isn't that a good thing?

I know as with any reel, how it is maintained substantially effects how long it will last. Along with this upgrade, I am hoping that maintenance and servicing are lessons that can taught to my 13 year old leading into future equipment purchases.
    I have some Battles and some Spinfishers. Both are great reels. From what I understand, many of the parts are available for Penn reels. Check Amazon and Ebay for some decent deals on them.
    "Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late" - JB

Thanks
    You didn’t mention what reel you were using but it is very easy to upgrade drag washers to carbontex.
    I don’t think I can list links but just google replacement drag washers for fishing reels and you will see videos and suppliers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Olvart View Post
    You didn’t mention what reel you were using but it is very easy to upgrade drag washers to carbontex.
    I don’t think I can list links but just google replacement drag washers for fishing reels and you will see videos and suppliers.
    The reel to be replaced is beyond repair I believe. It was a "Wally-World" combo that cost about $35-40. I'll check brand when I get home this evening...

Not only did the felt washers completely disintegrate and "gum-up" around the metal drag plates ... the spool housing is plastic with "chrome" plating that due to the extreme heat of several quick near spool-outs, melted allowing the "eared-plates" to twist/ melt into the spool housing, which I could not remove unless the spool housing was to be cut/ melted/ or otherwise be destroyed.

I do believe that whatever reel I choose, plastic components will be avoided.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 502 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleman View Post

I've not had occasion to take the Battle II apart, but I have 5 other Penns and they are all serviceable. The guts are brass, stainless and aluminum (maybe). I assume the Battle is serviceable.

The only plastic is the knob on the handle.
    RTR anyway.

Thanks
    Sounds like it’s time for an upgrade!
    I have Penn reels in the 5-6k slze and that should do it for you.
    You should check out the new Daiwa BG (black gold),a 4500 is a powerful smooth reel that can be had for about $100 bucks.

Thanks
    I have a 5000 & a couple 8000 penn battle 2's. have been good reels with no issues. the 5000 has seen lots of action on the pier and in the gulf. also makes a great catfishing reel when i'm home.
    bodebum likes this.

We are getting there...
    Born, bred and someday dead in Midtown Mobile, AL
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,321 Times in 3,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rabidawise View Post
    I have some Battles and some Spinfishers. Both are great reels. From what I understand, many of the parts are available for Penn reels. Check Amazon and Ebay for some decent deals on them.
    Both have Penn's HT-100 drag system (or equivalent).
    bodebum likes this.