Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Specks were on fire Saturday!

  1. #1
    Dufus Tourist
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Athens, Alabama
    Posts
    1,993
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 478 Posts

    Specks were on fire Saturday!

    Caught 20+ and kept 10 in the 11-13" range. All on jigs from the shoreline at Guntersville Lake.


  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chillinfish For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    birmingham, al
    Posts
    274
    Thanks
    327
    Thanked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    i’ll have lunch with ya tomorrow if you need some help chowing down.
    chillinfish, travis and Geno like this.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Gardendale,Ala/Gulf Shores
    Posts
    1,147
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 1,609 Times in 364 Posts
    Glad you had a good day they are predicting with al this rain everything is getting muddied up.
    chillinfish likes this.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tuscaloosa/Tallahassee
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
    Looking good! About to get the little toy rod out for the spring.
    "Something which threatens your life is a problem, everything else is an inconvenience."

    Paul "Home Run" Richert
    21 January 1966 - 04 November 2005
    Rest in peace Brother

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Scappoose, OR
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    sure look like Crappie unless you guys down there call them specks.......I was always calling a speck a Speckled (spotted) Sea Trout.
    stik likes this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Foley, AL
    Posts
    1,678
    Thanks
    2,267
    Thanked 2,842 Times in 626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bn4316 View Post
    sure look like Crappie unless you guys down there call them specks.......I was always calling a speck a Speckled (spotted) Sea Trout.

    The title was intentional, I suspect, to draw attention. Some people away from the coast call crappie "specks" or "speckled perch". And that's where these were caught, in North Alabama, where Lake Guntersville is located. I would have been surprised to see a report of speckled trout "on fire" this week. I was happy to see such a great catch of crappie in February from Guntersville. I used to fish there, back in the day.

    https://howtodoflorida.com/speck-or-...you-call-them/
    Last edited by eym_sirius; 02-20-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    bn4316, chillinfish and Geno like this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    446
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 188 Times in 68 Posts
    In central lower Michigan where I grew up, we called them both specks and crappie interchangeably. Of course, we didn't have to worry about anyone confusing them for speckled trout that far inland...
    Geno likes this.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I was at Guntersville this morning and man it was horrible. Soooooo much water everywhere. You couldn't even get under most of the bridges. The river side of the dam was flooded up to the boat ramp parking lot. Needless to say, I did not get a single bite on anything.
    chillinfish likes this.

  10. #9
    Dufus Tourist
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Athens, Alabama
    Posts
    1,993
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Striperlover View Post
    I was at Guntersville this morning and man it was horrible. Soooooo much water everywhere. You couldn't even get under most of the bridges. The river side of the dam was flooded up to the boat ramp parking lot. Needless to say, I did not get a single bite on anything.
    I guess what you're saying is that making the trip over in the morning will be an epic waste of time. Based on what I saw crossing the Tennessee in Decatur this morning It will be a while before all this extra water moves down river. There is still water in the fields fields flowing into the ditches that feed the creeks that feed the river. In the last hour Wilson Dam was flowing 206 million gallons per minute. Praying for those in the flood zone.
    benhunts likes this.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chillinfish View Post
    I guess what you're saying is that making the trip over in the morning will be an epic waste of time. Based on what I saw crossing the Tennessee in Decatur this morning It will be a while before all this extra water moves down river. There is still water in the fields fields flowing into the ditches that feed the creeks that feed the river. In the last hour Wilson Dam was flowing 206 million gallons per minute. Praying for those in the flood zone.
    Yeah, unless you are in a boat you could probably still get to the columns at the causeway or honeycomb. But fishing from the banks is pretty much useless at the moment.
    chillinfish likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •