Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SNAKE

Thread: King Blank Comparison

Thanks

King Blank Comparison

Can someone give me a pro/con comparison for the Gator 596vs the Batson SWB80L? I mainly throw live LYs but do occasionally toss a frozen cig. Is there another blank that would be more suitable for a king rod on a budget? (only used 12-15 days per year)

Thanks
    I assume you are referring to the bs596 gator. The bs596 that I have built in the past have been a very slow action and lack the lifting power that I personally prefer in a rod for pier fishing. The swb80ml is more of a moderate action with a faster tip. This is going to provide more lifting power when trying to control a fish next to the pier. Both blanks will work great for what your wanting to do but personally I would get the batson. I have a swb80ml already glued up in a split grip configuration if you would be interested in getting one built.

Thanks
    +1 on the lifting power of the batson. My fiancé had a 15 lb red halfway out of the water before I could reel up and go grab the net. I'd go with the batson. I'm building one for a forum member is we speak. Really good blanks for someone on a budget.
    Webster likes this.