Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
    Thanks

Pier Cart Dimensions

For a DIY PVC cart, what would be the acceptable dimension out to out...either outside of tire to tire or frame to frame, whichever is widest?
    by acceptable I mean most like everyone else's so as not to encroach on space
    thanks
    The Rats Keep Winning The Rat Race
    Atlanta Rhythm Section 1978

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    16in ......inside demension is what most large carts are, mine is 17in.......my concern would be fitting the cooler.....mine fits my 70 quart marine cooler with room to spare for the drop net beside it(also fits a 102quart with no room to spare on sides or front to back).......my jr cart inside demension was 14in......then you need to figure the length

My lg 310 cart came with ballon tires that I didn't want.....picked up a set of tires at rural king for a wheel barrow 12.00 per (300lb cap.)plus had extra bearings & 4 neoprene spacers, greese fitting...... Got the 5/8 aluminum axle at a local scrap yard $1.75
    Picked up some caster wheels for the front (debating about adding on on the back) flea market find maybe 10.00/4
    I have 2 different styles, one the goes in the tube (needs shimed) the other that I used u bolts to clamp on (will see how that one works this coming trip in the fall)
    First time for the new cart at the pier.....so??? Things can break that might be a good reason for the back caster wheel (extra for the front)
    Bill..............

Thanks
    Mine is 30x34x16, not including the 4in wheels on each side. It fits down most beach walkways, but I would imagine it's a bit wide to fit through alot doorways. Nice for the beach though. Fits a 55gal cooler, bait bucket, couple chairs, umbrella, tackle box, and 8 rods.

Thanks
    Put 4 rod holders on my Coleman cube cooler,it will work well no more than what I will have a chance to use it, might be 30" wide? need to get a measuring tape mounted on it to free up hands

Thanks
    Mine is 46"L X 29"W, and probably doesn't meet the "acceptable dimension" criteria. 10 rod holders. It has casters on the front for the pier which rotate to a PVC support for the beach so the casters don't dig into the sand. Homebrew beach tires in the back.

New pier/beach cart build

Thanks
    Thanks all. I appreciate all the input. I'm in the design phase, and the goal is the have it work as a pier cart as well as a beach cart. When my wife and I go to the beach it's a lot like moving to the beach.
    Thanks again
    The Rats Keep Winning The Rat Race
    Atlanta Rhythm Section 1978

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    You have alot of things to consider then.....transporting in vehicle,storage once there, what all it needs to carry, beach tires..... my up grade cart(wider) makes me adjust my carry deck Reese hitch by about 4in......as some are down sizing.....I wonder why I up graded.....kinda missing my JR. Cart, not much difference in weight but the extra room will be nice I guess, plus like figuring it all out how thing's need to be that might change as I use it......I know one thing the aluminum tubing is thinner walled, plus the rod holders are too....they will bend in a heart beat
    Bill..............

Thanks
    Nice part about PVC is that I can take it apart and put it into a small box if I need to. Can also customize it, add attachments for drink holders, cutting boards, bucket holders, etc.

Thanks
    Search "Pier Carts and Contraptions". Lots of ideas there. Some good, some not so good. Dimensions should be whatever you need to hold all your gear and still be able to haul in your vehicle. Post pics when you get it built. I built a pvc cart also, but that was while the new pier was being built and I was doing a lot of surf fishing. If I ever build another one, I will probably go more toward the wagon style since I don't surf fish anymore. If you are planning on taking it to the beach, you will need the balloon tires or as wide a tire as possible for pulling it in the sand.