Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Deer overnight?

Thanks

Deer overnight?

I have only left one deer overnight before in temps in lower 30's but coyotes destroyed her by the time I found her the next am. So my question is would it be safe to leave a deer overnight with these temps mid 50's and the meat still be good? (As long as coyotes don't get the meat.)
    Last edited by perdidohunter; 02-04-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'USA' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    Ungutted I would say no....but I am very picky with my harvest....I wouldn't leave it if gutted....without packing the cavity with ice for a carcus cool down....they start getting bloated within a hour or so in those temps if not opened up and gutted....I have multiple gallon ice jugs frozen to pack it in when temps are semi warm....won't hunt if too warm....prefer my kills late afternoon for an over night cool down, hanging time for a week weather permitting....or stuff in cooler with ice jugs rotating out till my hanging cooler gets done
    Haywire and perdidohunter like this.
    Bill..............

Thanks
    I have bow hunted since the sixties and been on blood trails too numerous to count. I would say no, especially if it was a marginal hit that involves the liver or intestines. Like Ironman172 mentioned, they can start to bloat very quickly (regardless the hit location). I always had an old refrigerator I kept in the garage that I would only use to put my deer (skinned and quartered) in. It worked great and I could take my time processing what meat I could each day without fear of spoilage. Good hunting to you.
    perdidohunter likes this.

Thanks
    Another option in those temps is go back 10pm or so. Take good lights, extra batteries, and extra eyes.
    perdidohunter likes this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin E. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks that is what I had figured. Its getting warmer these last few weeks and wanted others opinions and experience. I just don't want a good deer to go to waste.
    'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'USA' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    I've been lucky with my bow shots and they don't go far....once I hear them crashing I know they are done .....gun is not a issue at all ....I have much favorable temps for hunting, but still very warm & too warm to hunt for me sometimes
    ....I have always wondered how it is done further south....I watch the weather alot and only hunt in temps that make it easy to take care of the deer....I have 3 extra lg coolers that I can stuff deer into and ice down good....1 gallon ice tea jugs works great
    Working on a hanging cooler but not done yet.....never let one go overnight
    Haywire likes this.
    Bill..............

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ironman172 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Deer meat will be fine overnight at 50. It will not have even cooled off to ambient temp in6-8 hours. If you kill a deer and gut, or gut and skin and hang...put a meat thermometer in it and watch how long it takes to cool off. You will be very surprised. Deer Meat only begins to spoil AFTER it cools down and then begins to warm back up or when it never really cools to off any degree like say maybe early bow season.... That's when the bacteria start to get going. If it's a true gut shot...yes, the meat touching said goo will taste bad..cut it away just like you would do a deer that you killed, hung and skinned on a normal course of action. At almost 54 yo, I have more than a few hundred used for experience.
    perdidohunter and Rich1 like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JayHook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 827 Posts
    As others noted, an old fridge is worthy investments if you deer hunt. You can skin & quarter and then place in the fridge too age.
    Just make sure to use a good thermometer to adjust the fridge temp, don't want it too cold or too warm.
    I actually dry age wild duck breast in the fridge these days, usually 4-5 days. Amazing difference in the taste and tenderness vs. non-aged.
    benhunts, jollymon and ironman172 like this.
    Carl

Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Disclaimer: This post and/or report is not a substantiation of or reflection on the true accuracy of the present stock assessment methods. It is only an anecdotal report on or comment concerning local observations. Your results may vary.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
    As others noted, an old fridge is worthy investments if you deer hunt. You can skin & quarter and then place in the fridge too age.
    Just make sure to use a good thermometer to adjust the fridge temp, don't want it too cold or too warm.
    I actually dry age wild duck breast in the fridge these days, usually 4-5 days. Amazing difference in the taste and tenderness vs. non-aged.
    Do you wrap them ? or open air , any seasoning ? ,
    If you are going to fight, fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark and brother, it's starting to rain!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 827 Posts
    The duck breast? I clean them well, dry them thoroughly and then place them on a layer of paper towels in a Pyrex dish. Then tightly cover and place in the lower level of the fridge.
    Once aged, I put them in a brine before leaving for work and then grill or fry "schnitzel-style" that evening.
    jollymon likes this.
    Carl

Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Disclaimer: This post and/or report is not a substantiation of or reflection on the true accuracy of the present stock assessment methods. It is only an anecdotal report on or comment concerning local observations. Your results may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast