Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: King recipies?

Thanks

King recipies?

Anyone have some King recipies. I know fried, but was looking for maybe some other options. Or fried

jhl
    Thanks
    Frying isn't the tastiest way to prepare king IMO. Try smoking it with some pecan wood. Pretty good that way. There is a recipe in this section for Mrs. Pat's king salad that is very good also, probably my favorite way to eat king. Hope this helps.
    Bitterclinger likes this.

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 765 Posts
    I copied this from the ECPFF a long time ago; Good Stuff, Thanks MS PAT!
    Ms Pat's Mac Salad

1. Get 4 to 5 lbs of filleted fish, no bones, no skin, no blood lines. Put a large pot of water on to boil with 1 cup of liquid crab boil (more for spicier, less for milder). And some salt. When water boils drop fish in and let boil 20 min. Shut off heat and let sit in water til it cools down.

2. While fish is boiling, cut up: 1 large onioin (Vidalia), 1 bell pepper, 6 to 8 stalks of celery; two bunches of green onions to include the green part about half way up and throw in large bowl.

3. Make dressing- 1 large bottle ranch dressing, 1 bottle of golden's vidalia onion dressing, 1/2 cup spicy mustard, 2 tablespoons of horseradish, 2 tablespoons of chopped jalapeno peppers (can add more if you want spicier), 1 8 oz jar of sweet pickle relish and mix up.

4. When fish is done, put in large flat pan and flake (mush it up with a spoon or fork) and pour 1 to 2 cups of the water the fish was boiled in over the fish to keep moist.

5. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of mrs. Dash original, and about the same amout of Tony C's seasoning. Pepper and salt to taste.

6. Mix the fish into the bowl with vegies, pour on the dressing and mix. You may have some dressing left over - save if in the fridge for the next time in tightly closed container.

Ms Pat:
    "Hope yours turns out like mine. I am basically a cook that never measures anything so feel free to deviate from and experiment with this recipe. It'll still be good. !!"

We are getting there...
    Born, bred and someday dead in Midtown Mobile, AL
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,298 Times in 3,923 Posts
    Blog Entries
    GRILL IT!

One of my favorites is the 1-2-3 grill method:
    For four to six 'chunks' of medium sized skinless king fillets (about 8 ounces each).
    While the grill is getting HOT, I mix up the 1-2-3 basting sauce...
    Melt a stik of butter (or margarine) in a microwave dish.
    add 1 tablespoon of garlic powder (NOT salt),
    add 2 tablespoons of lemon pepper,
    add 3 tablespoons of dry parsley flakes,
    stir together to mix all ingredients,
    add 1/2 of a beer and stir together well.
    (The beer helps keep the butter from flaming up on the fish too much.)

Spray the inside of a grill basket liberally with Pam or other spray,
    (NOTE: do NOT do this near an open flame or heat source!)
    Arrange the fish chunks on the basket and close.
    Ladle on the 1-2-3 basting sauce on one side, flip the basket and baste the other side.
    Reduce the heat to a low/medium.

Turn the basket every few minutes and baste as needed to keep the crust from getting too dry or burning.
    Total cooking time is about 15 minutes per inch of thickness.

Serve HOT off the grill!
    Uneaten chunks can be cooled and crumbled up for fish salad.

We are getting there...
    Born, bred and someday dead in Midtown Mobile, AL
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,298 Times in 3,923 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pan-Fry it!

Slice skinless king mackerel fillets diagonally into 'medallions' about 3/4" thick.
    Add one or two tablespoons of olive oil to a large platter and roll around to coat the whole inside of the platter.
    Arrange the medallions side-by-side on the platter
    and flip over to coat the other side with a thin layer of olive oil.
    Salt, pepper and season to taste (I like Cavender's Greek Seasonings but sometimes us Tony Chachery's Cajun instead ;-)
    It doesn't hurt to cover with Saran Wrap and let this 'marinate' in the refrig for 30-60 minutes.

Get a non-stick skillet HOT and add the medallions side-by-side.
    Sear on each side and reduce the heat to medium.
    Total cooking time is about 10 minutes.

This method an be used on Tuna including False Albacore (aka Bonita),
    spanish mackerel pieces or you favorite fillets.

Thanks
    I have a recipe posted for it in this section. Will probably be on the last page. Very simple and very tasty.
    jhl and Bitterclinger like this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 827 Posts
    Miso-Marinated & Broiled/Grilled.
    I believe its posted here somewhere....
    Carl

Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Disclaimer: This post and/or report is not a substantiation of or reflection on the true accuracy of the present stock assessment methods. It is only an anecdotal report on or comment concerning local observations. Your results may vary.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterclinger View Post
    Anyone have some King recipies. I know fried, but was looking for maybe some other options. Or fried
    I would recommend a different style: fillet the fish, make sure meat has no bones, wash it thoroughly just enough to remove blood stains, then cut it into very small pieces and set it aside, then on another empty bowl: cut lots of minced fresh ginger (depending on your preferred taste), then add small cuts of red onions minced also, add generous amount of salt and black pepper, and add my favorite small slices of jalapenos pepper or small red hot pepper and finally add 1-2 cups of vinegar. After these, put the raw king meat into the bowl of mixed vinegar and spices. Manually mix them while slightly squishing the meat thru the vinegar and set aside for say, 5 minutes. The raw meat would turn white as indication of ready to eat. Then you're done! I guess you can call it a fresh fish salad for now until I find the exact word translation. It's an Asian favorite dish! goooooood on steamed rice! yummy! and good alone along with cold beers! usually this fish salad is served cold but not frozen. Just my 2 cents. Thanks!

Thanks
    Generously oil a pyrex baking dish with olive oil. Slice onions into rings and cover the bottom. Place boneless filets on top of the onions. Add enough canned diced tomatoes to almost cover the fish. Add a 5 oz jar of stuffed olives (salad olives are cheaper and work fine). Squeeze lime juice over the top of the filets and use your favorite cajun seasoning to taste. (If you like add a few slices of pickled jalapeno pepper slices). Bake for 45min at 350 degrees. Serve over a bed of rice or pasta with some french bread and a glass of red wine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 281 Posts
    Being from Arkansas, I just couldn't resist frying some in hot oil. It was surprisingly good. Cut into half inch thick pieces, marinate to preference, then dip in an egg and milk mixture with zataran's seafood fish fry batter (the beer batter was really good). Better than any catfish I've ever eaten. Works even better on spanish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast