Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Penn or Shimano

Thanks

Penn or Shimano

I know. Age old debate. I’m looking for a medium action spinning real. Looking at the Shimano Sargaso and standard Sendona in 3000-4000 size. Small enough to cast and catch specks but enough spool and good drag to handle a 32” redfish and slab pompano. Line weight 8-12 lb mono. Surf and boat fishing mostly.

I have no experience with the Sargaso and like my Shimano Sendonas but they are a little finicky in saltwater even when soaked after each trip. Also would like to buy American.

What sayeth y’all. Thank you in advance.
    Pier#r likes this.

Thanks
    Penn reels hold up well if rinsed, look at a Penn Battle for a starting point.

We are getting there...
    Born, bred and someday dead in Midtown Mobile, AL
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,298 Times in 3,923 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those Shimanos are a pretty good deal for the money IMHO.
    I like the Shimano drag on my lighter reels, even for surf fishing.
    I constantly lube the line roller, bail and bearing under the spool. And take them down to clean the drag and regrease the gears whenever they get "dunked".

But one of the best surf reels in that size range IMO is the Penn Spinfisher 3500.
    The VI series has seals to help keep water/salt/sand out of the gears and drag stack.
    The HT-100 drag system is one of the best in the industry... https://www.pennfishing.com/spinfish...inning-1454457

As far as "Made In The USA reels", only a handful are. And they are ALL heavy and expensive ...
    https://www.fishingcommand.com/spinn...de-in-the-usa/
    MarkS1320 and Haywire like this.

Thanks
    IMO

I like all my Shimanos but a Sedona doesn't compare to a Saragosa, and the Sedona isn't necessarily a 'saltwater' reel.

That said, I like my Accurist PT's more than my Penn Slammer 360 or my Battle ll so maybe I'm just weird.

If I'm fishing for Reds I definitely prefer old-school Shimano Baitrunners, but I'd take a Stradic for inshore over all of them.

Thanks
    I use a Shimano bait runner 5000 now when surf fishing in Gulf shores mostly for pompano but it is too big for slot reds and specks in Texas and Louisiana via boat or flounder and specs in the GS surf. I like the Penn Spinfisher VI but it doesn’t have the long cast spool in 2500-3500.

The Shimano Stradic 3000 looks comparable and has a long cast spool as standard complement. BUT now I need to compare I guess the bait runner or Sargaso to the Stradic???

I have to say that I have caught a lot of specs and reds up to 32” on my Saharas and Sendonas. Dunked them many times and after soaking in freshwater over night never had a problem. Good maintenance too.

I just want to step up somewhat .
    Haywire likes this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Royalfisher View Post
    I use a Shimano bait runner 5000 now when surf fishing in Gulf shores mostly for pompano but it is too big for slot reds and specks in Texas and Louisiana via boat or flounder and specs in the GS surf. I like the Penn Spinfisher VI but it doesn’t have the long cast spool in 2500-3500.

The Shimano Stradic 3000 looks comparable and has a long cast spool as standard complement. BUT now I need to compare I guess the bait runner or Sargaso to the Stradic???

I have to say that I have caught a lot of specs and reds up to 32” on my Saharas and Sendonas. Dunked them many times and after soaking in freshwater over night never had a problem. Good maintenance too.

I just want to step up somewhat .
    Don't overlook a new Penn Fierce. Get a 3000 and a 5000 and you're set up pretty well, and still be near the price of a Saragosa.

wait a minute... I don't think they even make a Saragosa 3000/4000. Believe the smallest is a 5000?

?

Thanks
    Penn has been my go to brand for a good while...Pursuit, Battle, and Fierce...for both salt and fresh water. I've never had any problem with any of them and have landed some good size fish with all of them. Freshwater I use 2500 and 3000, salt I have 3,4, and 5000, depending on what I'm after. My two cents...no change needed.
    Haywire likes this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    I like the shimano stradic's, but this past trip picked up a Penn clash 2 high speed at the end of the trip..... very smooth, good drag system ..... haven't put it through the catching yet ..... i think a good option to consider
    stephen.franklin likes this.
    Bill..............

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman172 View Post
    I like the shimano stradic's, but this past trip picked up a Penn clash 2 high speed at the end of the trip..... very smooth, good drag system ..... haven't put it through the catching yet ..... i think a good option to consider
    I literally sent him a link to a (used) Penn Clash 4000 I found on a resale site. $125 seemed like a fair deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSpool View Post
    I literally sent him a link to a (used) Penn Clash 4000 I found on a resale site. $125 seemed like a fair deal.
    Mine was used once, he had four 3000 series.... spooled with braid on a new star rod , selling for a friend that visited him 150.00,..... should have bought 2 ..... one of my reels started making noise ....so retired it
    Prospector46 likes this.
    Bill..............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast