Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: A crying shame

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eym_sirius View Post
    It's a ripoff, in that the set-up is arranged for the convenience of those renting out the equipment. Just think about how little work goes into setting up an outfit that never gets bit! You never have to replace the terminal tackle and you don't have to worry about a big game fish hitting a stinky squid glob! You check it out to the user, sell 'em a cup of stinky squid and a few hours later, you express your condolences, check the outfit back in, rinse it off and it's ready to go again, none the worse for wear. The ripoff comes in the lack of value from that experience.

I'd do it differently. I'd rig the rods for whiting (for instance) and sell a few extra prepared leaders. I'd sell shrimp and fish bites and never sell stinky squid. I'd sell the heck out of needle-nosed pliers, which I'd recommend for every person who might hook a hardhead catfish.

Haywire, I've done the same as you. I've given I don't know how many rigged leaders to newbie fishermen not catching anything because they were set up just like you described. I'd help with the effort, but I'm all bogged down with as much work as I want - to the point that I can't get away to fish!
    We need to put a beginner tackle box together and sell it and it has everything you need and nothing that you dont for GSP.
    "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 197 Posts
    I'm pretty rudimentary with my rig tying Simple but they work Say the word Haywire I'll help you with anything you want to do
    bodebum, Pier#r, coach and 1 others like this.

We are getting there...
    Born, bred and someday dead in Midtown Mobile, AL
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,298 Times in 3,923 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster179 View Post
    We need to put a beginner tackle box together and sell it and it has everything you need and nothing that you dont for GSP.
    It's been done...
    https://www.ontherailtackle.com/Prod...r-start-up-kit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pier#r For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So I've got to say I've fallen victim to this "customer service" in the past at another pier farther to the east..past Navarre yet not quite Destin. Not to name any names or anything! I walked in with some of my own gear and my brother in law. Asked them what was biting and if they could point me in the right direction. We walked out of there with the heaviest rod imaginable and a carton of squid. The guy at the counter was emphatic that squid was the cats meow for catching fish out there. I told him we wanted to try and catch pompano. Being a fisherman (freshwater) it didn't take me long to look around and realize that I'd been had. After a while of trying I washed the sucker stamp off my forehead and headed home. The fact the locals are the ones bringing this up on this forum is a true testament to the type of people that frequent this pier. Thanks to all who try to help us visitors out a little bit!
    PatRyan, bodebum, benhunts and 3 others like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebels32 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When I was 1st introduced to pier fishing I fell victim to a rental rod, it was a berkley fusion with 50lb mono, aftermarket grips(electrical tape) and 3 eyes on the entire rod. Terminal tackle was about like Mr. Wire described. After that horrible night at a pier on the right before DI, I learned from my mistakes. I used the google machine and stumbled across this forum and pier. I've been catching fish(most of the time, well... sometimes) ever since.
    I actually borrowed tips and tricks from the locals and this forum and added it to my wordpress site to benefit beginners that may not be on the forum.

Thanks
    BTW,

A big thanks to the entire group for generally making the pier a great place for my family to enjoy.
    ironman172 and coach like this.

Thanks
    Very nice....Keep up the good work helping others!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,043 Times in 1,919 Posts
    I stopped by the tackle store yesterday and attempted to politely discuss the situation and pretty much met a stone wall---"You'll have to take that up with the boss." "No the boss isn't here." "That's what they (they?) gave me to rent."

I found out that the boss is somebody who should know better, but is presently (reportedly) on a cruise. Maybe I will have better luck when he gets back. It isn't a matter of costing him more money---as a matter of fact, he could make more money by renting the basic rig, then adding a couple of basic kits, such as for pomps, Spanish, even kings. The rod and reel outfits appear to be decent quality, it's just the terminal rigging that I have issues with.
    Pier#r, CarlF, jollymon and 5 others like this.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haywire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Seems like perfect sense, from the view of a small, independent businessman. Better sales and pleased customers (mostly, some are never pleased), equals better profits. Plus, the large rigs cost more. Lower overhead; keep a few heavy's for those die-hards that's just gotta have'em. I appreciate the intentions by you, Mr. Wire. I have had some of my best fishing at Ft. Morgan, tying up floro dropper rigs for a small group of folks who had not ever surfed fished, and seeing the fun they had when they caught a fish. My downfall was, not knowing what all the names were for some of the fish, or if they were dangerous, or if you could eat 'em. Museums and many places have docent's, folks that volunteer, who work a few hours a week, doing something that they are good at. The pier has the distinction of having docents. Unpaid, low key, not organized, but with all the right stuff.
    jollymon, Haywire, travis and 1 others like this.

Thanks
    I'm up for helping tie some bottom rigs or whatever if you can get it approved
    Haywire likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast