Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts

pier height & cobia fishing

would like to know the pier height from the top rail to the water at low tide (at the end or highest point)....for gaff rope....looking for some, to go with pier gaff's....and have a request in to a diver that does some salvaging offshore wrecks, and finds cut rope and anchors
    thanks in advance
    Bill..............

Thanks

Re: pier height

I think it's about 25 ft roughly. I have a 35 ft piece of rope for my net and gaff.

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 765 Posts

[size=12pt]http://www.orangebeach.ws/funthings/371-alabama-gulf-state-park-pier.html

Pier Dimensions/Size:
    • Length: 1,540 feet (longest on Gulf of Mexico)
    • Width: 20 feet (I think this is deck height, I would add 3 or 4 feet for the rail)
    • Height: 20 feet (above high tide)
    • Pier house/Picnic area 8423+ sq. feet
    • Mid-Pier 65' x 65' octagon
    • End Platform Size: 90' x 90' octagon
    • 2,448 feet of fishing space along rails
    • 45,000+ sq. feet foot print
    • Water depth at end at high tide: 28'
    • Water depth at end at low tide: 26'
    [/size]

Thanks

Thanks ....never thought of looking at the pier website
    Bill..............

Thanks

I got a 50ft on mine cuz other piers are higher.. pcola pier is higher than alabama

Thanks

Yep and Okaloosa is the highest, I think....I guess Navarre and it are the same height....haven't been on the Panama city one's since the rebuild.....and my diver friend has come up with 2 pieces of braided rope for the gaff's....40ft, and a little over 40ft.....for free......so the gaff's will be complete ....ready to use!!!!!! :yippee:

[img width=600 height=450]http://i44.tinypic.com/15804yt.jpg[/img]
    Bill..............

Thanks

[quote author=ironman172 link=topic=613.msg5616#msg5616 date=1329243167]
    Yep and Okaloosa is the highest, I think....I guess Navarre and it are the same height....haven't been on the Panama city one's since the rebuild.....and my diver friend has come up with 2 pieces of braided rope for the gaff's....40ft, and a little over 40ft.....for free......so the gaff's will be complete ....ready to use!!!!!! :yippee:

[img width=600 height=450]http://i44.tinypic.com/15804yt.jpg[/img]
    [/quote]
    Yeah i'm gona goto PC for the 1st time this year ever and navarre for the 1st time since IVAN took down the old one gona put in well over 40 days of ling fishing starting march 1 whooooo!!!!

Thanks

That's where we would go when the others were down and if all I wanted to fish for were ling.... that is where I would be...Panama City piers....they.... for the most part get first crack and I have seen a lot over there....with the good fisherman coming from Pensacola...now they might go to Navarre....but way to far for me to drive from there, when we go out in the gulf fishing....all day....and now that Gulf shores is open(always been my favorite) and closer to friends in Pensacola ;D

I might make it to Navarre a day or 2, with the grand son and a friend of his... is coming to.....that boy is soooooo excited....never seen the ocean before.... loves to fish,.... I showed him some picture from the pier, and that's all he has talked about since :yippee:
    he's been watching me work on the gaff's and making the butterfly jigs....he is real interested in it....so a lot of pass off's when i am there....we will see if they can hang on the rail....googan's for sure....especially my grandson....wants to use a open face upside down oke1: ....gees....not in my boat ....I am kind embarrassed!!! I hope he is broke of that....hasn't been pier fishing with me for a couple years .....didn't want to fish with gold hooks and nothing on them for the bait....and refused to fish after that :boohoo:....he could barely see over the rail then
    Bill..............

Thanks

I could not find a place to stay in Gulf Shores (my time-share) the last week in March so I am staying in Fort Walton Beach just down the road from Okaloosa Pier. I plan to go to Okaloosa as well as Navarre.
    I hope the things I learned from a lot of you at GS will work just the same at those piers.
    Just wish I could still keep that one oversized red.

Administrator
    Thanks

[quote author=1000 Miles Away link=topic=613.msg5623#msg5623 date=1329248260]
    I could not find a place to stay in Gulf Shores (my time-share) the last week in March so I am staying in Fort Walton Beach just down the road from Okaloosa Pier. I plan to go to Okaloosa as well as Navarre.
    I hope the things I learned from a lot of you at GS will work just the same at those piers.
    Just wish I could still keep that one oversized red.
    [/quote]

Things work a lot different on the panhandle piers. You have to deal with people leaving their rods on the rail and stuff like that. I personally love Navarre, but have not heard too many good things about Okaloosa. I will also never step foot on Pensacola Pier ever again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast