Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What causes reel binding?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
    OK, shoulda read that more closely.

Other than the fact that dunking a reel underwater is not the best idea in the world, I think Pier#r is onto something.
    Even if its freshwater, you will need to open the reels up and dry, clean & re-lube.
    Well if you fish like I do, getting a reel wet is an inevitability. Sometimes the only way to retrieve a lure involves getting the reel wet. Other times, just driving rain forces it’s way into the reels. Wade fishing in creeks or in the surf. Once or twice a reel has gone overboard. Only ever had problems out of one or two models. Others have had water get inside with no problems.
    Brandon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 827 Posts
    Back when I bass fished a lot, I used a lure dog on 80# mono to retrieve lures. Worked well. Especially crank baits.
    Carl

Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Disclaimer: This post and/or report is not a substantiation of or reflection on the true accuracy of the present stock assessment methods. It is only an anecdotal report on or comment concerning local observations. Your results may vary.

Thanks
    spinning reels "bind" when the seal below the spool swells and grips the main shaft harder than normal. I have not encountered the problem with a baitcaster (I try to avoid ever getting them wet due to centrifugal brake systems).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12