Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: sand spike rod holders

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma CIty
    Posts
    210
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Let me know how they turn out. I been to lazy to make any myself. Its funny I have a full fab shop and I never make anything for myself.
    firemansam likes this.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Starkville, Ms
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 45 Times in 11 Posts
    i have that problem some of the time Psycho!! haha I just dont want to go move some of the crap around to get to what i need to make something so i go buy it but sometimes it seems i can buy stuff for what i would spend in materials... except the bumper i built for my jeep i came out way ahead on that one!

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,779
    Thanks
    2,258
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 639 Posts
    I like making and using what I make, there is something to say about the pleasure I get from and seeing others enjoy the same (like pier gaffs for 1)

    like the big smile on Mr. Wilson's face when the ling came across the rail with one of my gaff's(put a smile on my face too)

    .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill..............

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma CIty
    Posts
    210
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firemansam View Post
    i have that problem some of the time Psycho!! haha I just dont want to go move some of the crap around to get to what i need to make something so i go buy it but sometimes it seems i can buy stuff for what i would spend in materials... except the bumper i built for my jeep i came out way ahead on that one!
    I was going to build a beach/pier but bought a fishing mate instead. With moving and trying to sell the old house I have zero time now. Havent been fishing since I was down there in May

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Starkville, Ms
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 45 Times in 11 Posts
    i know how that goes!! with me working in Antarctica half the year my fishing and creating is cut back but i am down there during our winter so i could be worse!!!

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Foley, Alabama
    Posts
    1,505
    Thanks
    612
    Thanked 3,411 Times in 531 Posts
    I use the 2" PVC with 1/2 aluminum angle attached. Works great to push into sand. Had them for 10+ years and no problems. Easy to male and slide together for transporting.
    ironman172, chillinfish and usa like this.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,779
    Thanks
    2,258
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 639 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fshntime View Post
    I use the 2" PVC with 1/2 aluminum angle attached. Works great to push into sand. Had them for 10+ years and no problems. Easy to male and slide together for transporting.
    that's what I had in mind, aluminum angle for the sand and clamped on PVC pipe for the rod, still make it plenty long enough but 2 piece for ease of transport.....working on a rod tying frame now for a needed guide replacement and flex coating after the repair(thanks John G for the lessons)....these rods will be for the beach ,if I fished there.....maybe on the pier to balloon float a bait out(not much for conventional casting reels)
    Bill..............

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Posts
    1,056
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 177 Times in 63 Posts
    I made my own as well and decided against the pcv only style.

    I added an adjustable 1 inch wide steel slider at the base of a thick bodied 2" pcv, both offset and a few feet in length.

    I also added a clampable rubber grip at the top which allows for adjusting to any size rod handle at the end.

    This setup prevents the need for a rubber mallet, and will also stick into harder substrates such as dirt.
    ironman172 likes this.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    800 Miles north physically; somewhere on the pier mentally
    Posts
    1,226
    Thanks
    1,671
    Thanked 130 Times in 112 Posts
    Pictures? Sounds interesting.
    ironman172 likes this.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,779
    Thanks
    2,258
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 639 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking Guy View Post
    I made my own as well and decided against the pcv only style.

    I added an adjustable 1 inch wide steel slider at the base of a thick bodied 2" pcv, both offset and a few feet in length.

    I also added a clampable rubber grip at the top which allows for adjusting to any size rod handle at the end.

    This setup prevents the need for a rubber mallet, and will also stick into harder substrates such as dirt.
    Please do share pictures
    Bill..............

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to ironman172 For This Useful Post:


 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •