Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Ammunition shortage vs Turkey hunting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 281 Posts
    If only the Octi were open, we could all hear that story from the Gainer several times....
    ironman172 likes this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestexile View Post
    If turkey hunting has become so easy that a .410 is needed to keep things interesting, that's self-confidence.

On price of ammo, I may have to switch to morels. They never come no matter how well you call, but you can stalk to bayonet range.
    Now a days with tss 9 shot you really aren't handicapping yourself much, if any with a .410. A .410 shell with 13/16 oz tss 9 shot has 295 pellets. Thats pretty close to the same number of pellets in a 1-3/4 oz 12 ga load of 5 shot. Its just a lot more pleasant to shoot. Much easier on the shoulder, harder on the wallet. 40 yard shots are possible either way.
    Haywire likes this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fordguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just this week my wife surprised me by asking (first time ever pushing hunting) if I could kill a wild turkey and how it would taste -- by archery. I expect she thinks it might be weeks (or years) before I emerged from the woods under those conditions.
    HobieKen, fordguy and Rich1 like this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    Maybe the way it was prepared(wild) , but I prefer store bought turkey for eating..... now the hunt might be different thing .....
    Bill..............

Thanks
    ironman, filet the breast strips about 1/2" thick, soak in buttermilk overnight, coat with seasoned flower and then fry...you will throw rocks at store bought turkey after you try it

Thanks
    I made turkey schnitzel last year with mine, it was incredible. I used Steven Rinella's recipe with a few modifications to suit my own personal tastes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    Guess I can blame it on the bride , almost that time again saw some scratching last trip down and up in the woods..... only good thing, I don't have to buy a license..... my SIL place would be the best, but then cheap me would need license & tags
    Bill..............

Thanks
    One more day of turkey season and I'm wishing I had taken a page out of the haywire turkey hunting handbook. I had a big old tom hang up at 55 yards and the old remington nitro turkey isn't a load that I trust past 40 yards. A longer distance load would have been just the ticket. They surprised me while I was setting up my decoys. I had a hen decoy in my hands, hunched over and a live hen pops over the hill and comes in for a look. I kept the decoy between us and she focused on the decoy and ignored me. She marched up 10 feet out and putted angrily, and fluffed her feathers out like she was ready to fight. For a minute I wondered if I was going to have a turkey fight in my lap. The tom popped over the hill behind the hen and strutted back and forth across the hillside looking very pleased at the 2 hens about to fight over him. He completely ignored me, wearing my camo holding the hen decoy in my lap. When the hen gave up and left the tom followed her... One more day...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123