Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Trail cameras

Thanks
    No worries for that guy. Every one of his cameras is cellular. He's the same guy who will tell you that the deer are his because he puts in multiple 10-20 acre food plots to feed them. He also likes to hire planes to fly him low over his property and unfortunately over my parent's place) so he can monitor the deer. I've had multuple problems with him over the years that resulted in calls to the authorities and or the DNR. They go talk to him but nothing ever changes. So... Ill just keep hunting and keep calling when he breaks the law.
    Last edited by fordguy; 09-03-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    FSHNERIE and Haywire like this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fordguy View Post
    No worries for that guy. Every one of his cameras is cellular. He's the same guy who will tell you that the deer are his because he puts in multiple 10-20 acre food plots to feed them. He also likes to hire planes to fly him low over his property and unfortunately over my parent's place) so he can monitor the deer. I've had multuple problems with him over the years that resulted in calls to the authorities and or the DNR. They go talk to him but nothing ever changes. So... Ill just keep hunting and keep calling when he breaks the law.
    Good for you, keep calling. People who think they own the wildlife on their property are the same ones who think they own the stream and fish running through their property.

Them folks not too smart.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chillinfish View Post
    The flip side of using 70 cameras is that you spend a lot of time disturbing the woods and leaving a lot of scent around unless you are rich enough to have 70 cellular cameras. Even then you have to replace batteries. The pictures I get in summer are pretty useless in patterning deer once acorns begin to fall since they seem to stop using trails as much. Once the rut kicks in they are all over the place. Most of the better bucks we see don't show up until mid November and we seldom get pictures of them in summer of early fall. Another issue in Alabama is the new baiting law. Pay $10 and you are allowed(on private lands) to kill over a pile of sweet feed, corn, roasted soybeans, powdered molasses, rice bran or even hard rock candy. So now your hunting skills learned over a lifetime get trumped by the guy with the most attractive and strategically located bait pile. I'll pass. Takes about as much skill as shooting a cow munching on a round bale of hay. The cow probably tastes a lot better and costs a lot less than deer. Venison is the second most expensive free meal you can get-behind fish.
    We are in and out of our place year 'round. I want the deer to know I have been there in a nonthreatening manner. They don't pay much attention to the disturbances/scent if they encounter it year 'round. Sorta like they ignore the farmer going about his daily duties

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stik View Post
    We are in and out of our place year 'round. I want the deer to know I have been there in a nonthreatening manner. They don't pay much attention to the disturbances/scent if they encounter it year 'round. Sorta like they ignore the farmer going about his daily duties
    That use to be me....head up on the atv to fill the tube feeders , deer at it just moved off 50yrds eye balling me until I was done and headed back, as soon as I moved on.
    Had them walk right by the atv at the bottom of the shooting house ladder, never paying any attention to it
    They just stand there watching the neighbor running his bobcat
    stik and midwestexile like this.
    Bill..............

Thanks
    Once hunting season starts, I pull the cameras off of the hunting property. I always have a camera in my back yard though, just to see what all wanders through there when we aren't watching. Here are some pics I've gotten, just about 20 steps off my back porch.

midwestexile likes this.

Thanks

tigershark and midwestexile like this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chillinfish View Post
    Venison is the second most expensive free meal you can get-behind fish.
    Ha ha,..I’ve heard that can be true, but I’ve made it a point to try and keep the cost to an absoute minimum. The license is around $28 bucks, and I usually buy a bottle of scent which is around ten or fifteen. Other than that my cost is usually limited to two 30/30 rounds. I do my own processing and grinding.

Bought my rifle 25 years ago, and i’m not a gear nut either,....even built my own stands from scrap. So,....I figure that 100 lbs of clean hamburger I put up every year costs me about 40 cents a pound. Not to mention the tenderloin, stew meat, and all the scraps I save and give to the dog with his daily food...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12