Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
    Thanks

Hello everyone I'm a newbie and could use some info

I'm coming back down in august for vacation and i'm planning on spending most of my time on the pier fishing . so i'm wondering how the reels are that you can rent on the pier i only have BASS reels being from north alabama. also what should i bring and what all can i expect to catch during early august Thanks everyone i think i'm gonna love this site ROLL TIDE!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 690 Posts

Re: Hello everyone I'm a newbie and could use some info

welcome...... and your talking the dog days of the summer...plenty of suntan lotion oke1:
    Bill..............

Thanks

Bring your spinning rod 7ft medheavy 4000 series reels with 20lb powerpro braid. I have piered going on 20kings with my striper jig rod I use below Pickwick and Wilson. If you have a 5500c or 6500c with 20lbtest and a heavy action rod I can show you a chugger rig that works awesome for Spanish. Good luck and anything I can do to help just ask. :fishing:

Thanks

Sounds good tater if you could send me a pic of how it's tied. I'm gonna try and get all my stuff ready before we head down. and also whats the best to catch to eat.I would like to catch a king olr anything really that i could cook up at the condo later

Thanks

YouTube king rig! Then the live LY rig is just a float with a leader!! But I will takepics. What part of NA are you from?

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 765 Posts

[size=12pt]There should be all sorts of fish biting in August; Kings, Spanish, Specks, Redfish, Whiting/Ground Mullet, Bluefish and Flounder to name a few.
    For Kings, most people use a 7’ or 8’ medium or med/hvy weight rod and spinning reel with a smooth strong drag that will hold 250 to 300 yds of MONO line. 15# and 16# mono are the most popular line weights. Use the smallest 35# to 50# black swivel you can find; J & M in OB can fix you up with anything you can’t find at home. Get some 27# to 30# wire leader, some use single strand and some sevenstrand or surfstrand. Hooks are #2 or #4 bronze 4X treble hooks.
    You fresh water is fine for the smaller, less rambunctious species and bait catching.
    As for using braid, it is not used for kings by many, if any, of the pier regulars. To get a more line on the spool, some will use braid as backing under the mono. In the heat of battle, it seems that line tangles can be a real pain when braid is involved. There are no rules about which lines to use, and it is up the angler
    Here are a couple shots of a nice braid tangle from this afternoon. This was caused by someone throwing a Gotcha across lines and these guys lost a lot of fishing time untangling the braid mess.
    [img width=720 height=540]http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g446/finchaser1/Forum%20Only/3-24-2012014.jpg[/img]
    [img width=720 height=960]http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g446/finchaser1/Forum%20Only/3-24-2012015.jpg[/img]
    [/size]

Thanks

Ah Fin yes I was just referencing his bass tackle doesnt really posses the ability to hold enough line, but Fin is correct if your not careful you will windnot or ruin other lines. That and braid is also harder for the other anglers to see in the water, but if your careful and courtious to the other anglers braid allows you to hold more line and not sacrifice the lb-age on your smaller reels.

Thanks

Thanks guys i have the 7' MH rod i will try and find me a spinning reel should not be a problem @tater i'm from section it's on top of sand mountain just south of scottsboro I will go with mono just so i don't screw everyone elses fishing up lol.I checked it out lastyear just watching it was awesome we went all week and watched for about an hour a day so i'm gonna hang around here by august i should be ready lol thanks again fellers