Welcome to the Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum.
Like Tree21Likes
  • 11 Post By OldSpool
  • 3 Post By Pier#r
  • 7 Post By OldSpool

Thread: not much but something, and a reminder...

Thanks

not much but something, and a reminder...

... that better days aren't far away now.

Fished Fairhope late Thursday night. Nothing but runt White Trout and Croakers and a few big Sailcats. (everything but the cats came on a hot-pink crappie jig).

Fished my way back towards the truck, stopping and dropping in every light but nothing significant. On one of the next-to last spots, I got bumped by a small Speck that shook the hook on his first headshake. Threw again and got a solid set, small Speck around 13".

Using a "white ice" style minnow, I threw 4 more times in a row and caught (2) 14", a legal 15" and one legal 16" ... so 4 casts and 4 fish. Good way to end the night at least.
    Dave, travis, mike243 and 8 others like this.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OldSpool For This Useful Post:

We are getting there...
    Born, bred and someday dead in Midtown Mobile, AL
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,336 Times in 3,931 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My daughter and her family fished there Saturday morning from about 8am to 12pm.
    They were the only people on the pier at arrival, not just fishermen, NOBODY else was on the pier!
    Anyway they fished (shrimp on bottom) the crab warfes and the main pier from the marina out a ways.
    Caught a usual assortment of small croakers and silver perch, a small stingray and a 10 1/2 inch ground mullet.
    She said the bite died off once the sun came out.
    Water was very turbid...
    9iron, OldSpool and travis like this.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pier#r For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    about last night... and I'm not April Fool's joking.

Fairhope pier again- between midnight and 1:30am, I caught 42 undersize Specks and never went past the bathroom/restaurant. Literally fished 2 lights with pink and white crappie jigs, and lost at least 7 lifting them over the rail. Only ONE keeper (16.5") but a TON of 12-13 inch. Shallow water, lots of flashes, had dozens of hits as soon as the jig hit the water.

IT AIN'T EASY throwing a 3/16 -1/4 oz jig that far that many times, especially with a south wind in my face but it was too much fun to stop. (My near-70 year old shoulders are paying for it right now).

Walked to the end and caught 5 hardhead cats, one big Croaker (est. 9 inches) ... and nothing else. Walked back to the shallows and landed 17 small white trout along the way, then caught at least 10 more Specks at the same 2 lights I started out on.

One of those nights, just glad I was able to play my part.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OldSpool For This Useful Post: